How to Style a Wrap Dress
If you’re getting ready to shop for some new fall clothes, might we suggest adding wrap dresses to the list!? These total fashion must-haves are versatile and super flattering, making them one of the easiest go-to staples for all sorts of different occasions.
Whether you’re dressing it up with a pair of cute wedges or going casual for a weekend of errands, here’s how to style a wrap dress.
Get the Dress
The first step to styling any wrap dress is to find a piece (or a few!) that works best for you. Wrap dresses are extremely forgiving on the figure, drawing attention to your waist in a very flattering way. Look for styles with a little stretch in them so you can have a perfect fit–even if the size isn’t.
There are tons of different kinds of wrap dresses to choose from. If you’re seeking something classic, a solid color wrap dress will last you for years. If you want to find something that’s a bit trendier, opt for a cool pattern like colorblock or a ditsy floral print.
Dress It Up
If you have somewhere special to go, like a baby shower or brunch with the girls, a wrap dress makes an instant outfit! All you need to do is to elevate your look with some accessories and you’re ready to head out the door in no time at all.
- Add a little bit of a preppy touch with a cushioned headband and a simple pair of stud earrings. The flowiness of the wrap dress offers the perfect balance so the look is sweet, not stuffy.
- Cute shoes can make all the difference when it comes to elevating your wrap dress for a big night out. Try a pair of sky-high heels or wedges in neutral colors to elongate your legs in a sophisticated way. Finish the ensemble with an envelope clutch and chandelier earrings.
- Shine on in colorful costume jewelry that adds some sparkle to a simple dress. Emerald green looks super chic against basic black, sapphire blue twinkles against blush and oversized gold hoops are majorly trendy paired with any color.
- For a professional aesthetic, top your look off with a sleek blazer. Swoop your hair up into a loose bun, carry a structured tote and you’re ready to rock the workday with grace.
It really doesn’t take much to transform your wrap dress into a sophisticated outfit that’s ready for any special occasion.
Dress It Down
Wrap dresses are just as appropriate for a casual weekend with friends as they are for a fancy event. The key to dressing them down while still staying on trend is all in the styling.
- If you’ve ever wondered how to wear a kimono in a boho-chic way, one of our favorites is paired with a wrap dress. Simple sandals and a straw bag make this the most adorable outfit to wear for a day on the boardwalk.
- A pair of crisp, white sneakers and a jean jacket make a super sweet way to dress down a wrap dress. Tie your hair up into a bouncy ponytail and sling a crossbody bag over your shoulder for a look that’s comfy and cute.
- On chilly nights or as a transition out of the summer, a jean jacket or moto jacket makes the perfect outer layer for wrap dresses. Over the knee boots add to the fall vibes.
- If you’re headed to a concert or picnic in the park, a wide brim hat and pair of strappy sandals keep a wrap dress feeling casual enough for outdoor gatherings without sacrificing any of the fashionable factor.
Sometimes, the dress code for an event or get-together isn’t as clear cut as we’d like it to be. Even if you’re dressing for that gray area, that doesn’t mean you have a reason to worry!
Wrap dresses make an excellent base for dressy casual outfits because of their amazing versatility. Whether it’s sneakers with sparkly earrings or a jean jacket with a pair of pumps, mix and match fancy and casual accessories to create a look that’s trendy and appropriate.
That’s a Wrap
Wrap dresses are some of our favorite fashion staples for so many different reasons, but it’s mainly their ability to be dressed up or down with the magic of styling that makes them well worth some space in your closet. What are some of the ways YOU style a wrap dress? Let us know in the comments!