How to Wear Summer Dresses in Winter
Just because summer’s over doesn’t mean you have to store all of the breezy casual dresses you had on heavy rotation during the warmer months away in your closet until next year. In fact, with a little bit of creativity, you can create tons of stylish looks that are perfect for cold weather days.
From layering with a turtleneck and tights to snuggling up in a cozy cardigan, here’s how to wear summer dresses in winter without looking out of season.Shop Casual Dresses for Sale
CHOOSE YOUR STYLE
When you’re planning out the different ways you can style your summer dresses for cold weather days, it’s helpful to start by taking a look at the pieces you already have in your closet. There are some types of warm weather dresses–like floral prints and silky materials–that’ll work best for transitioning into the winter months, but you don’t have to be afraid of putting on a vibrant pattern or gauzy fabric!
If you have a few overtly tropical dresses in your collection, it might be worth letting them sit this one out when you try working with some of the styles of dresses you have. Super bright palm tree prints could be challenging to make feel seasonally appropriate.
LAYER FOR WARMTH
One big key to making a summer dress look (and feel!) appropriate also serves another very important purpose: keeping you warm. By layering basics over and under your dress, you can stay cozy even when the temperatures dip, while making it super clear that you really do know what season it is out there!
- A simple black turtleneck is the perfect base layer for any type of summer dress, but especially floral printed styles. It provides a clean backdrop against bright colors so that the dress can be the focus.
- Short dresses look really sweet with opaque black tights and a pair of cute boots.
- If you’re wearing a silky summer dress, play with texture by topping your outfit off with a chunky sweater in a rich color. Try this in winter white for a super chic option to wear to a special event.
- It’s always worth having a few cute cardigans because they can magically transform any outfit into the perfect winter look. Simply layer one over your dress for an effortlessly seasonal ensemble.
The right layers can balance out your outfit, helping your summer staples adapt super easily to winter weather.
Adding accessories to your outfit is the perfect way to complete your look and help the whole ensemble feel cohesive. While you might carry a straw bag and wear colorful sunnies in the summer, think about the different kinds of accessories you can add to your outfit that will transform them with winter vibes.
- Trendy jackets in fluffy textures play really nicely with printed summer dresses in delicate fabrics. It’s just an added bonus that they can help you stay warm!
- If you’ll be spending time outdoors, don’t forget to put on a pair of gloves and a beanie cap so that you can shine like the summer sunshine without freezing your buns off.
- Crossbody bags in deep colors can ground your outfit while keeping your hands free for wherever your day takes you.
- Scarves can absolutely be worn both indoors and outside. Pick a style that complements the color palette of the rest of your look so that you can decide how long you want to wear it!
- Simple jewelry like silver hoops or layered chain necklaces provide just the right amount of shimmer.
Bundling up doesn’t have to be boring, and accessories give you the opportunity to tie everything together in a fun and flirty way! That’s especially helpful when you’re taking a piece from one season to another.
Summer Dresses All Year Long
There’s nothing more disappointing than storing your adorable summer dresses away just because the weather’s getting colder–and, thankfully, now you don’t have to! Whether you’re covering up in a chunky sweater or adding some extra layers for warmth, all it takes is a little bit of creativity to make cute winter outfits out of your favorite summer styles.