What to Wear with Camo Pants
While camo print may have only been worn by hunters and the military in the past, it’s evolved into a true fashion classic. Camo pants are having a major moment right now, and can be seen on trendsetters of all ages and lifestyles. While this rugged print may have first been created to blend into the background, it’s now a staple piece for those with standout style.
Here are our favorite tips for what to wear with camo pants, and a few things to avoid for good measure.
Outfit Ideas for Camo Pants
Camo print is a little bit like magic. Because of its historic purpose and the various shades of taupes and beiges and greens that it’s made up of, camouflage acts almost like a neutral. This gives you the opportunity to style it in nearly endless ways.
- Brighten a camo print look with a pop of primary color.
Bright blue, bold red or energetic yellow give a jolt of visual interest to your look. Stick to a solid top instead of a print to keep your camo pants feeling fresh without overwhelming the eyes. Add chunky white sneakers and a pair of hoop earrings for a sporty, weekend-ready style.
- Pair your pants with a flirty, feminine top for a sweet touch.
A flowy top in blush or cream provides the perfect balance to camo’s natural toughness. Wear your hair down in loose curls and throw on white high top sneakers or a pair of nude heels for a breezy date night look.
- Enjoy a fun night out in a crop top and fire engine pumps.
When styled with a sky-high pair of pumps and a white crop top, camo is an attention-grabbing option for a night out with the girls. With this show-stopping look, keep the accessories to a minimum.
- Go full athleisure in a black hoodie and casual sneakers.
Black and camo are a match made in athleisure heaven. Pair your camo pants with a slim fit hoodie (nothing too baggy or you’ll risk looking frumpy) and some trendy sneakers and then tie your hair up into a high ponytail to give off the ultimate comfy-cool vibes.
- Rock the workday in a blazer and ballet flats.
Yes, camo can so be worn at work. You just have to dress them up a little bit! Hide a simple black camisole underneath a crisp black blazer and finish the look with a pair of ballet flats, and you’re ready for the day ahead.
- Give your camo look a shot of electric energy with a neon punch.
Neon is becoming a huge trend, and it brings the perfect zing of energy to any neutral camo look. Whether it’s a stripe of electric purple down the sleeve of a taupe sweater, a shot of traffic cone orange on a pair of trendy sneakers or a splash of fuschia on an oversized scrunchie, neon brings new life to a beloved print.
- Cozy up in a cream-colored cardigan.
Mixing textures is a creative way to add an element of surprise to your camo look. Just be sure to keep the palette neutral. A silky black top and chunky knit cardigan offer an unexpected balance to gritty camo print.
What Not to Wear
The key to making camo pants look like a fashion statement rather than a military uniform is to balance them out with pieces that complement the print, but don’t feel too matchy-matchy. When your look is too thematic, you risk getting it mistaken for a costume.
Here are some pieces you might want to avoid when planning an outfit around camo pants.
- Too Many Tears: Frayed ends have a place in fashion, but combining camo with too many other tattered pieces can make the outfit feel too much like you’ve been in enemy territory. Try to keep the rest of your look polished.
- Camo on Camo: This is another combination that could come across as costumey. If you’re wearing camo pants, save the camo sweater for another outfit instead.
- Dog Tag Necklaces: Unless there is a sentimental reason you’ve chosen to express your patriotism, dog tags and other USA-themed accessories are better saved for alternate looks.
Keeping Camo Cool
From pops of color, to basic black, to pieces with feminine flair, all it takes is a little strategic styling to turn trendy camo pants into bold looks that stand out from the crowd. What do you like to wear with camo pants? Share your style tips with us below!