Hottest Swimwear Trends: 6 Style Tips to Soak Up the Sun in 2020
Swimsuits give you the chance to bring some style to the shoreline and there are so many fun and playful trends to inspire you this summer! From bold color-blocking to flirty ruffles, to sporty silhouettes, here are six style tips to soak up the sun in 2020.
1. Experiment with color-blocking for a cool, sporty look.
Color-blocking is a great way to add visual interest to an outfit and thoughtful color placement can really help make a swimsuit super flattering. Try a style that’s darker in the middle and lighter on the sides to give you the illusion of a slimmer, longer torso.
Try some of these fresh color combos for a look that feels new and now:
- Fiery red and bubblegum pink
- Classic black and creamy white
- Aqua and navy
- Taupe and forest green
- Bright orange and fuschia
Style a color-block swimsuit with a pair of athletic shorts and lucite earrings for a sporty outfit that works just as well on the beach as it does the boardwalk.
2. Stay covered up in a chic, long-sleeved swimsuit that’s modest but not dowdy.
Thankfully, you don’t need to be a pro surfer to get in on the long-sleeved swimwear trend. While long-sleeved suits are a great way to get additional sun protection without overheating, the key to keeping this staple on-trend is to pick one with visually interesting details.
Look for styles that are high cut in the legs, come in fresh prints like flirty florals or sophisticated houndstooth or have intriguing cut-outs or ruching. Cute two-piece swimsuits also come in long sleeve styles, so you can have a lot of fun mixing and matching separates.
3. Show your feminine side in a sweet swimsuit that’s covered in flirty ruffles.
Ruffles can add such a charming touch to any look, and a beachwear outfit is certainly no exception. The ruffled look has been around for a few years already, and with so many cute swimsuits to choose from this season, this trend doesn’t show any signs of slowing down.
- Pair a ruffled bikini top with bottoms with strappy sides and a high-rise cut
- A ruffled v-neck one-piece swimsuit is both flirty and flattering
- Pair ruffles with polka dots for the ultimate feminine fun
To keep this style looking sophisticated and not too girly, style your ruffled swimsuit with grownup accessories, like tassel earrings, an elevated headband or a silk scarf for your hair.
4. Show your creative side in bold, colorful prints and patterns.
There’s no better time than summertime to bring out bright, bold prints and patterns! Use your swimwear like your creative canvas and experiment with playful combinations that you might not normally wear when the weather’s colder.
- Gingham is a classic summer print that feels fresh in pastel hues
- Leopard print acts like a neutral but also lets you show a little bit of your wild side
- Tie-dye gets an upgrade with fresh color pairings like blush pink, lavender and teal
- Stripes are flattering and work for so many different color combos
- Checks and contrast piping give off retro sportswear vibes, a major trend this season
- Tropical prints are visually exciting and feel like an instant vacation
Prints are great options for cute one-piece swimsuits and two-piece styles alike. Don’t be afraid to have a little fun with them this summer. Just be sure to keep your accessories to a minimum so that the boldness of your outfit can take center stage.
5. Take your one-piece swimsuit to the next level with dramatic cut-outs.
Thankfully, one-piece swimsuits are no longer only like the styles you had to wear for swim meets and summer camp. Nowadays, there are so many options to choose from and strategic cut-outs can give them a very sophisticated appeal.
An added bonus of a flirty one-piece suit? It transitions so easily from day to night. Once your time by the water is over, cover up your bottom with a pair of short shorts and add some jewelry and platform sandals. No one would ever know you’re not wearing a trendy bodysuit.
6. Get down in disco-inspired metallic swimwear looks.
Metallics are such a hot swimwear trend and it makes so much sense. Isn’t it fun to sparkle in the summer sunshine?! A hint of sheen really makes an otherwise simple swimsuit pop.
- A one-piece in a shiny brown or rose gold gives off just the right amount of glimmer.
- Teal bikinis feel otherworldly in shimmery metallic material.
- Gold and silver feel regal and sophisticated in a flattering ruched style.
Not only are metallics great for the beach or poolside, but they’re also an easy essential for transitioning into a nighttime look, as well. Simply add a pair of hoop earrings and your most glittery eyeshadow for an outfit that’s made for dancing!
Enjoying the Summer Sunshine
Summertime is all about the swimsuit and this season’s trends are all about having fun. Whether you go bold in brights or keep it modest in an upgraded version of the classic one-piece, we hope you’re feeling inspired to soak up the sun in style.