How to Wear a Sweater Dress
Can we all take a moment to thank the sweater dress? This wardrobe heavy-lifter brings it all—comfort, style and (as we’ll cover below) complete versatility. It’s no surprise that practical fashionistas have taken to the trend, with Rita Ora, Blake Lively and Ariana Grande slaying the sweater dress game last winter. Luckily, this is one cool-weather craze that will keep burning well into the new year, and we’re living for it.
Because they come in so many fits, materials and styles, we thought we’d help you come up with some fun ideas for how to wear a sweater dress so you can keep this garment as one of your go-tos throughout the fall and winter months.
- With Sneakers—Sneakers go with everything, including your wooly frocks. Of course, these days it’s all about the crisp, white tennies—ask your older siblings if they kept any Adidas Superstars or Stan Smiths for you to borrow—and nothing goes better with a comfy, chill-looking sweater dress than clean white shoes.
- With Tights—If it’s really chilly out, don’t be afraid to layer your sweater dresses with a pair of thick tights. This can either dress things up or down depending on the color and pattern you choose, so do some experimenting to find your look.
- Without Tights—If you’re going for totally trendy, definitely rock the cable-knit frock sans tights on mild days in the fall and spring. Coupled with some knee- or thigh-high boots, this look gives the soft, sweatery sweetness a bit of a sexy edge!
- The ‘Lampshading’ Way—Ariana Grande is the undeniable queen of this look. She’s known for rocking big, comfy sweaters and sweatshirts with a pair of over-the-knee boots in a style dubbed “lampshading.” Leaving only a sliver of leg exposed, this hot style is sure to turn heads.
- The Tailored Way—Not everything has to be oversized. In fact, we’re seeing a lot of style influencers returning to the polished, tailored days of old, and—as lovers of preppy fashion—we are not complaining one bit! If you’re looking for great winter work outfits, grab a few neat-looking sweater dresses.
- With Booties—You already know that a pair of statement booties is at the top of this season’s must-have list, and these flexible footwear favorites pair perfectly with any and all sweatery garments. With a pair of black, gray or cognac booties, you can give any knitted dress a trendy pop of pizzazz.
- With Heels—Love to get dressy? So does the sweater dress. Perfect for everything from busy workdays to jazzy nights out on the town, the heels and sweater dress combo is totally appropriate for those days when a t-shirt dress is way too casual.
- With a Hat—Channel your hipster vibes by pairing a chic distressed sweater dress with a wide-brim felt hat. This look proves that the sweater dress is one outfit-maker that you can make work for just about any event or occasion, from a night out watching live music to a day of back-to-back meetings with important clients.
- With Statement Jewelry—When styled with your best statement necklaces, a fitted sweater dress like the one below gets a feminine, flirty and fun upgrade that makes you want to rock it year-round. Paired with a funky clutch and some bold booties, this look won’t get lost in a crowd.
Adding Your Special Flavor
Whether you fancy yourself funky (maybe you’re all about the leopard print) or consider your clothing classic, the sweater dress is one trend you can take hold of and enhance with your special flavor. The Mint Julep Boutique is here to hook you up with a look that will make you feel totally fabulous as the weather starts to cool off.