How to Tie a Maxi Dress and 5 Style Tips
Maxi dresses are trendy year-round, but especially so during the summertime when their easy, breezy flowiness matches the carefree season of sunshine. If you’ve ever wondered how to tie a maxi dress to give your look some added freshness, you’re totally in the right place!
Here are some creative ways you can tie yours, along with five of our favorite style tips for this effortless summer staple.
Tying Your Maxi Dress
Depending on how much skin you want to show off and the ways you plan to style your outfit, there are many different ways you can tie up your maxi dress. No elastics are necessary. All you need is to bunch up the fabric!
Here are a few different styles you can experiment with:
- If your maxi dress is all one length, gather fabric at the bottom of the dress and tie it over itself into a knot that falls on one side. It creates a bit of a natural slit and shows off a little more of your legs.
- Create a cute, drapey style by tying your dress up in the front. Let the dress fall naturally and then bunch up about a foot of fabric where the dress hits the middle of your thighs. The end result will be a cute little rosette that hits above your knees and a sweet cascade of fabric that falls from front to back.
- If your dress has slits on the sides, a sleek way to create a high-low style is to tie a knot in the front panel as though you were finishing a sewing stitch. Swirl the fabric around itself and then pull it through in a downward motion.
- If you have a lot of fabric to work with, you can get super creative by transforming your maxi dress into a mini dress. Tie two of the bottom corners of your dress up over your shoulder for a very flirty new look.
- Some maxi dresses come with fabric belts that can help define your waist, but you can also create your own cinching effect on looser dresses by tying a knot at your hip bone.
Styling Your Maxi Dress
- Go for a clean, casual style with a crisp white pair of sneakers.
Sneakers are playful and a little bit unexpected when you see them peeking out from underneath a maxi dress. This adorable pairing of comfort and style is perfect for a date day at the fair or a stroll in the park with your best girlfriends.
- Wear one as a beach cover-up with slide sandals and a straw hat.
Maxi dresses are super versatile in that you can dress them up or down. Especially if you’re tying yours up a bit, you can wear a maxi dress comfortably as a cover-up to the beach. Finish the look with a pair of sandals and a stylish straw hat for a look that you can wear from the sandy beach right up to the boardwalk.
- Accessorize your dress with a baseball cap for a sporty tomboy look.
If you’re headed to a backyard BBQ or tee-ball game with the family, it can help to tie up your maxi dress so that it doesn’t get stained from the grass. Fashion accessories like a trendy baseball cap can give your look an overall sporty edge that’s perfect for outdoor activities.
- For cooler nights, layer a jean jacket over your dress to keep warm and add some structure.
Jean jackets are such an easy layering piece! Add one over your maxi dress to give it a fresh look. If you want a look that’s on the dressier side, hoop earrings, a clutch bag and a pair of ballet flats are elevated enough for dinner with friends.
- Show off your stylish shoes for special occasions or a fancy night out on the town.
When you tie up your maxi dress, you give your cute shoes the opportunity to take center stage! Whether it’s a pair of strappy sandals or sky-high nude pumps, this is a great way to show off your gams and your shoes while still staying covered.
If you’re looking to breathe new life into an older summer staple, tying your maxi dress can transform it into something completely fresh. Whether you choose to style your outfit casually or put on your dancin’ shoes for an exciting night out, we hope these style tips have you feeling inspired to take on this trend!