When the temperature begins to get warmer and the days become longer, you might be eager to start planning outfits around your favorite summer dresses - but sometimes the weather isn’t as ready as you are for the heat of the season. That’s where the magic of layering comes in! In fact, it really only takes one extra layer to completely transform your look.
From tie-front T-shirts to a structured blazer, here’s what to wear over a dress in the summer.
Stay Covered in Cute Sweaters
There are so many different kinds of cute sweaters out there that you can wear all year long, and luckily they really make the perfect pieces to wear over dresses. The key to making a sweater look appropriate for the summer season is to choose your colors and materials wisely.
While a chunky, heavy black sweater might be a wonderful choice to stay warm on a chilly winter night, it’s probably not going to be the most comfortable option for you to wear when the weather’s warmer. Instead, keep styles made of lighter materials, looser knits and brighter colors ready for summertime layering.
- A beige cardigan is a versatile classic and easy to take on and off on days when the forecast is erratic.
- Loose knit sweaters offer a bit of sheer coverage, which is perfect for summer. Choose a pastel color for a cheerful vibe.
- Sweaters don’t just come in long sleeve styles! A cropped tank gives a little bit of a hippie edge to an otherwise simple outfit.
Tie the Look Together in a Tie-front Top
Tie-front tops got super popular a few summers ago, and the major trend shows no signs of slowing down any time soon! Not only does this cropped style look flirty and fun when worn with skirts and jeans, but it’s also a great layering tool to breathe new life into an old summer dress.
- If your dress is a slimmer fit, have it serve as a base layer and add a tie-front T-shirt on top. Finish the casual look with chunky white sneakers.
- Get inspired by the color blocking trend by layering an ultrabright tie-front top over your favorite neon dress for a bold ensemble that’s ready for a big night out on the town.
- A tie-front top brings contrast to a sparkly summer dress, dressing it down enough for daytime.
Add a Little Edge with a Bomber or Jean Jacket
Sweet and swingy summer dresses are lovely for so many different occasions, but for those who are looking to add some edge to their outfit, a bomber or jean jacket make for the perfect topper! Summer-inspired accessories offer some contrast and help keep things fresh and bright for the season.
- For weekend brunch, style this combo casually with chunky white sneakers, a bouncy ponytail and sparkly stud earrings.
- Dress up a bomber jacket with strappy sandals and a studded crossbody bag.
- Swap out classic denim with a white jean jacket for an extra summery vibe.
- Cool summer nights call for black booties and bare legs.
Get Work Ready with a Structured Blazer
A flowy, summery dress can sometimes be a little bit bare for the workplace. Cover up while still keeping cool by layering yours underneath a lightweight women’s blazer to make an outfit that’s equally appropriate for both Sunday brunch and a day at the office.
- For work or play, a solid-colored blazer is understated but still impactful. Style with minimal accessories, like gold hoop earrings or a delicate chain necklace for a poised and put-together look.
- Transform your blazer layer for happy hour with the gals with a few simple accessory swaps. Colorful earrings, a bold handbag and sassy pointy-toe pumps are elegant and playful at once.
- Bridal showers and brunches call for the classic color combo of blush and navy. Style a blush summer dress with a rich blue blazer and strappy sandals for dressy daytime occasions.
Just because it’s summertime doesn’t mean that the weather -- or the workplace -- is ready for spaghetti straps just yet. Thankfully, layering pieces are just as perfect for seasons in transition as they are for revamping old favorites. Shop the Mint Julep Boutique to decide what you will wear over your summer dresses this year!