One Piece Wonders: How to Wear a Jumpsuit
There’s nothing better than being able to pull a versatile piece out of your closet and dress it up or down depending on what you need it for, and cute jumpsuits make for those types of instant outfits that are perfect for both casual days and special occasions! If you’ve ever wondered the best ways to style these one piece wonders, you’re in the right place.
From choosing an option with the most flattering fit to accessorizing based on your plans, here’s how to wear a jumpsuit.
Focus on fit and function.
Jumpsuits can end up looking a little sloppy if you aren’t picking a style that fits you properly. When shopping for the perfect piece, pay attention to where the jumpsuit sits at your waist, legs and shoulders.
- Styles with waist detailing like ruching or a tie-front sash can give you the illusion of a slimmer midsection, especially if they fall right where your waist is the narrowest. This can create a super flattering hourglass shape.
- Not everyone has the same torso length, so for some people, jumpsuit sleeves might be too tight on the shoulders, or so loose that they slip off entirely. If your sleeves slip off the shoulders, that’s something a teeny bit of tailoring can fit quite easily!
- While long pant legs are totally on trend right now, just be careful that your jumpsuit’s legs aren’t so long that you trip over your own two feet! It’s best to try your options on with a few of your favorite pairs of shoes to either confirm the fit is right, or make an appointment with your tailor.
As you’re shopping for a jumpsuit, keep in mind the different types of occasions you plan to wear it for. While there’s no doubt you can dress up a casual piece, some colors and fabrics fit are more appropriate for certain functions.
- Neutrals like blush, cream and gray give off majorly sophisticated vibes, even in a more casual fabric like cotton. They’re easy to dress up or down.
- Jewel tones like ruby red or glimmery emerald in silky materials make for trendy show-stoppers for a big night out.
- Understated patterns like stripes and gingham in muted colors feel feminine and fresh, but don’t overpower the rest of your look so you can still accessorize to your heart’s desire.
- Colorblock styles can be extremely flattering and are perfect for jumpsuits. Look for pieces that are darker in the waist to draw attention to your lovely figure.
When you start with a piece that fits you perfectly and will work for multiple occasions, you have a base that will help you look and feel your most confident no matter how you choose to style it!
Use accessories to your advantage.
Once you have your perfect jumpsuit picked out, it’s time to think about how to style it. If you’re going somewhere with a cocktail attire dress code, you’ll probably be putting together something that looks a bit different than what you’d wear for weekend errands. It’s all about using accessories to your advantage and creating a fashion statement that fits the function!
- If you’re looking to dress down your jumpsuit, crisp white sneakers and a crossbody bag make for an easygoing outfit that still looks chic. Tie your hair back into a low bun for a bit of French-girl style.
- For brunch with friends or a date during the day, cute shoes like wedges and a structured tote take your look to the next level, without feeling too dressy for the circumstances. Loose waves in your hair, chandelier earrings and a swipe of colorful lipstick complete the ensemble.
- If you’re heading to a super fancy function or an otherwise big night out, this is the time to pull out all the stops and create an outfit that turns heads! Secure your hair into a sky-high ponytail, add a sparkly headband and step into your dressiest pair of strappy sandals. You’ll be ready to dance the night away in style.
Jump(suit) for Joy
Jumpsuits are a major fashion staple and we totally recommend you have at least one of them in your closet! Whether you’re looking for something to wear to brunch that’s comfy but still looks put together, or have a fancy dinner party to go to with friends, there are endless ways to style these one piece wonders to fit every occasion you can imagine.